Sunday, April 16, 2006

Jack's First Easter


Last Easter, Jack was still inside me. I remember hoping that he would arrive on Easter Sunday so I didn't have to return to teaching the next Monday. Unfortunately for me, he decided to hang on a little longer, and didn't make an appearance for another ten days! Today, on Jack's first Easter, we got up early and went to the first service at church. One of my favorite Easter traditions is to bring flowers to church, and "flower the cross." There is a large flower box up front of the sanctuary in the shape of the cross, and during the first hymn everyone comes up and sticks their flowers in, creating this beautiful cross of flowers. Then, we sing "Lift High the Cross" as they literally lift the cross (on a pulley system) until it is hanging up above the pulpit area. It's so beautiful. Jack was mezmorized by it--he walked up with me and touched all the flowers, and then watched with awe as they raised it.
There was also a moment today during the service when I found my eyes welling with tears...we always sing "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" each Easter, and there is usually a brass quartet playing. This year we had not only the brass, but organ, piano, and a full orchestra--so you can only imagine the volume and the quality. In addition to these instruments, the congregation seems to sing more wholeheartedly on this hymn as it is well known and well loved. People are asked to bring bells, and then during the "alleluia" part of the song you ring your bells. For some reason this morning I was just overwhelmed by the beauty of the music, which I could feel almost in my bones, and the heartfelt singing of those around me, along with all the bells of celebration. I couldn't help but wonder if this is but a glimpse of heaven--the thunderous swell of music combined with the worship of the saints...in my heart I know it will be far greater than I can even imagine. But this morning I felt like I had a small taste--and it was wonderful.
*Christ, the Lord, is risen today, Alleluia!
Sons of men and angels say, Alleluia!
Raise your joys and triumphs high, Alleluia!
Sing, ye heavens, and earth, reply, Alleluia!
*Lives again our glorious King, Alleluia!
Where, O death, is now thy sting? Alleluia!
Once He died our souls to save, Alleluia!
Where thy victory, O grave? Alleluia!
*Hail, the Lord of earth and Heaven, Alleluia!
Praise to Thee by both be given, Alleluia!
Thee we greet triumphant now, Alleluia!
Hail, the resurrection, thou, Alleluia!












Jack learning to wave

Can you see how sick I was? :(

This was right before we went outside to take pictures. Jack is hitting the "me do it" phase, and he hates it when I comb his hair. He cries and squirms and tries to take the brush from me, and then he attempts to brush his own hair. Today I wouldn't let him have the brush since we were in a hurry, and instead he reached up with his hand and rubbed it against his head in frustration, and this was the hairstyle that came of it...



Grumpy Boy
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Happy Easter! The pictures are adorable...especially the last one with the grumpy face and the hair, so cute. I cant believe how big Jack has gotten! Has he started running yet?

So sorry you werent feeling well this Easter. Praying for you to feel better this time around!

Katie said...

Precious pictures. But I love even more what you wrote. We sang the same song, and I promise you I felt the same way. Who knew we were worshipping together this morning, how many miles apart? :) Glad you had a great Easter!

Praise Him, for He is risen, indeed!!

Anonymous said...

That is really great to hear, Katie. Isn't it a marvel to think on God's ubiquity? Not only is being everywhere and seeing everything mind-blowing, but His perfect wisdom and master orchestration are even harder to grasp.

Our church did a choir work on Easter for which I arranged a brass accompaniment (since we had a full brass section). Brass instruments are all in different keys (they're called transposing instruments). So, a single piece in the key of C must be written for the trumpet in Bb, and the horn in F, and trombones in C, etc. In addition to these headaches, you also must consider pitch and rhythm, actual range of each instrument and voicing of the chords, and volume balance with the choir.

Now, I love this stuff, but it can be confusing in the midst. If this single piece of music provides such complication, how incomprehensibly unmanageable is a single minute on earth to orchestrate humanity's practical events and spiritual well-being?!? I sure am glad God is God.

Katie said...

Well me too... (especially since I can't even comprehend all of these notes and musical terms you're mentioning because I'm THAT musically challenged...) I'm CERTAINLY glad to know some can at least vaguely glimpse the way God might orchestrate humanity, because it's something I simply cannot fathom- and a faith-builder to know others can at least glimpse and attest that it is so! :)