Well, it's been some time now, but Jack is now a full-fledged crawler! All of a sudden, one night, all the limbs started to work in perfect coordination, and he made his way across the room...ok, so it's a small room...but out came the video camera and the silly parents clapping and cheering him on.
At first he would just crawl slowly across our little living room, and then flop around until he was facing the other direction, and crawl back across the room...then last week I turned away for just too many seconds, and found him in our back bathroom...right next to the toilet bowl cleaner and bleach product...way to go, Super Mom!!
After the crawling got underway successfully, he began to pull up on things, usually things that aren't very sturdy--and he just topples over. But he finally found a few items that are just the right height and are steady enough that he can pull himself up to a standing position. He can also climb up steps now! He pulls up to standing, and then lifts his knees up on the step...
It's just amazing to me to watch all these developments occur. I realize that every baby in the history of the world has reached these same milestones, and that they are not unique to my son. But somehow, it is still amazing and brings such joy to my heart.
Recently he was crying and crying after we put him down for the night, and when I finally went in to check on him, he was standing up in his crib holding on the the rail. My little baby, pulling himself up without my help! Out came the video camera. (I'm afraind he's going to grow up thinking that everytime he does something special there will be a camera there to document it...which is actually possible, :) but I'm sure with the arrival of siblings he will be in for a shock when he realizes he is NOT the center of the universe after all!!)
Of course now, he pulls himself up in his crib all the time, but hasn't yet figured out how to get down, so he gets up, has his fun, but then cries and cries until we come lay him down. It's not a fun game, I assure you.
Right now I can hear him in his crib, playing with the Ocean Wonders Aquarium that was recenly installed. It's so funny to hear music suddenly drifting from his room, along with coos and giggles from him... I know it's slightly pathetic, but in some ways I'm already experiencing the motherly lament of "my child doesn't need me anymore!" There's something wonderful (and yes, sometimes exhausting) about being needed so fully in the beginning, and it is such a joy to give of yourself in such a self-sacrificing way.
On the other hand...I also feel like, "HURRAY! He doesn't need me every waking minute! He can entertain himself!! I can actually get something done!!" It's also amazing to me the things that he is entertained by...someone recently gave us a belated baby gift...but Jack has spent WAY more time playing with the paper bag that the toy came in than the actual toy itself! And this morning as I folded laundry he sat beside me in the pile of mail and played with the newspapers for quite some time...even though his box of colorful baby toys sat a few feet away.
And, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit, he loves his Baby Mozart video. (I swore I would never let my babies watch TV when they were this young!) He sits in his high chair (or a laundry basket! :) ) and watches with great interest. It's actually kind of neat because he's beginning to react to what's happening on the screen, and sometimes he even giggles. I feel guilty sometimes that it's not ME, his mother, a live person, interacting with him...but there are just those days... you mothers out there know what I mean... And to be totally honest, I'm thankful that there is something made specifically for babies, with their developmental stages in mind. The added bonus is that I enjoy the music, too. :)
Hope you are having a happy fall, whatever part of the world you are in. The colors here are so beautiful right now, and we are loving every cruchy leaf, smell of the earth, and crisp morning. While there are days during the frigid winters that I wish I did not live in the Midwest...these fall days make it worth bearing the cold!
I better go get Jack before he figures out how to climb out of his crib.
Tuesday, November 08, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh I wish I could see him giggle at his movie!! You are too hard on yourself! If my poor kids haven't already inherited ADD from Shaun, we're giving it to them by the amount of movies they get away with watching! But Evan's new potty training tactic may put an end to that- if he poops in his pants- no movie at all that day...and then it occurred to me- wait, I meant to teach you a lesson, not me- oh well. God's sovreign- maybe He's killing two birds with one stone, so to speak. :)
Ok...just have to point out that I am WAY past my due date in that picture. Thank you, dear, for sharing that lovely picture with everyone! At least you couldn't see my swollen feet!!
Post a Comment