Friday, November 18, 2005

Naptime Surprise

Today I put Jack down for a nap in his Pack 'N Play (at Mullinger's house--where I babysit) and shut the door despite his loud, tearful protests. As I came downstairs I heard him on the monitor, settling down. Moving from cries to babble, I could hear him: "la-la-la Eee-yi-eee-yi-eee-yi la-la-la-la..." and then it was quiet. I was settling down at the table to write a grocery list for Thanksgiving dinner when I suddenly heard a Darth Vader-like breath over the intercom.

My heart lept--was someone in the room? Highly unlikely. Am I hearing things? My thoughts flew to the scene in "Sixth Sense" when they turn up that recording and you can hear people whispering...THAT thought gave me a chill down my spine until I told myself how ridicoulous it was...

So with my heart pounding, I went upstairs to check on my little one. He heard me coming, which is always so funny to me; I think I'm so quiet and sneaky, as I slowly twist the doorknob, and open the door, inch by inch...but he's always staring straight at the door with a smile on his face...like he knew I was there all along.

So today when I opened the door and peaked in, I found him lying on his back in the crib, with the monitor in his mouth!! I hadn't realized that since he is now able to pull up to a standing position, he can reach the cord to the monitor, and he had pulled the whole thing into the crib and was licking the microphone!

As you can imagine, that got a good laugh from Mommy, along with a half-serious, "No, no, Jack!" I had to drag the Pack 'N Play into the middle of the room to insure he couldn't reach anything else from it! Needless to say, he was VERY upset when I deserted him for the second time in five minutes...

3 comments:

The Durbin Family said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie said...

HILARIOUS. I bet that did freak you out- that must've been loud!

Kimberly said...

That is so funny! Especially that your first thought was about the "Sixth Sense"! How creepy. Isnt it weird how we think of those things at the most inopportune times. Im glad to hear it was just Jack enjoying his new found talents:)