Monday, February 26, 2007
Why, son?
I am currently working on a post about Jack as he is nearing his second birthday. But I couldn't resist posting this picture as a preview, and as an illustration of what we are facing these days. This lovely situation happens at nearly every meal, and I just don't understand it. Why, why why? I say through clinched teeth and fake smile every time. I have tried two approaches: first of all, the "don't give him attention" method, but he didn't seem to care that I didn't seem to care. So, next I tried the "sit with him and grab the bowl before he can dump it on his head" strategy. After my first few tries it began to feel like a game; Jack would hold his bowl tightly with both hands and just look at me, as if daring me to take it away from him. Then in one swift movement it was on his head, and he was laughing--at me, I'm sure of it. The few times that I have been successful at retrieving the bowl, he resorts to putting his dirty spoon or fork on his head and rubbing it all over. Or, if I am really smart and grab all the utensils at once, he just uses his hands. Rubs his sticky, gooey, carrot-covered hands through his hair repeatedly. I just don't get it.
I suppose it also wouldn't be the end of the world, except that peas, parmesan cheese, and black beans do not smell so great after a few hours. This means that he would preferrably be put in the bath and scrubbed down after each meal, to avoid such horrid smells. However, the start of this odd mealtime habit unfortunately coincided with a sudden and strong distaste for bathtime...so after getting frustrated by the dinner mess we then have to follow that up with a tantrum-ridden, kicking-screaming bash as we try to undress him, place him in the water, actually get water on his head (let alone soap!) to get him cleaned up. Imagine doing that three times a day. Did I mention I also have a three month old?
Fortunately, as of this week he has lost his bath phobia and instead now runs to the bath with great pleasure. But now we face a new problem: he actually likes the bath and so three baths a day is just a bit too much water for my conscience to waste, not to mention the loss of hot water that we experience in our house! So now we just rub his head down with a washcloth after his meal, and stick to one bath before bed. I have never known a toddler to bathe so often.
Stay tuned for more Jack news. Twenty-two months is quite an interesting age; while I love him dearly, I will certainly be glad when we have moved on from this particular stage. I'm pooped.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
That is so funny that I laughed out loud, imagining the scenario going down! I know it's not funny when it happens, and it's just exhausting....but I suppose it's one of those things that years from now, you & Jack will laugh about together! It's good you are keeping the memories written down. :)
Oh. my. goodness.
That is hilarious! The picture and the title. Of course, it's funny because it's not my kid... at least not in THAT picture. :)
What a goofball. He's so funny.
Post a Comment