Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Do you floss?

Last week I went to the dentist for my sixth-month check-up and cleaning. And, once again, I was told, "You need to floss more." Yeah, okay. I've heard that every six months since I was of flossing age. But lately, at my last few check-ups, the soft chide has been followed by evidence of my poor flossing record: "Ooh. Yeah. You have some cavities." Not just "a" cavity--"some!" Goodness.

Now I've also heard and read that your teeth are more susceptible to problems when you're pregnant, and for a little while post-partum, due to all the hormonal changes taking place in your body. So I was encouraged by that when I went in at six months pregnant and was told to floss, followed by "You have some cavities." I was also not as worried when I went in eight weeks after Jack was born and they found a few small cavities, since, after all, I had just given birth, and moved, and gone back to work, and my body was still in the process of returning to balanced-hormone world.

But I have this sneaking suspicion that at nine months post-partum, I have no excuse besides, "I need to floss more."

Now, the maddening thing in all of this, is that I do floss, occasionally. More like in spurts. I'll floss religiously for about a month, and then I run out of floss, foget to buy more, and the whole effort is abandoned. Eric, on the other hand, has rarely flossed in his whole life! When he goes in for a cleaning, they tell him, "You need to floss more." Followed by, "Your teeth look great!" It drives me crazy, because even when I DO floss, occasionally, I STILL end up with cavities. But Eric never flosses, ever, and his teeth seem to clean themselves. I just don't get it.

So I am just curious how many people actually do floss regularly, besides dentists and dental hygenists, and their offspring (who are probably grounded or lose their allowance if they don't floss). Do YOU floss? How often? Do YOU have cavities (when you're not pregnant)?

If you think of it, say a little prayer for me on the 24th, as I'm having my cavities filled. Last time I went in for this procedure they couldn't get my gums to numb, and after four to five pokes of the needle in my cheek and gums they ended up having to put a shot directly into the root of my tooth, in order to numb the area. You know, maybe I should floss more often.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Annika, this is so funny! I dont floss at all. I do have the occasional spurt after an appt with the dentist and it lasts a couple of days and then I forget about it for a year or two.

I would love to answer the question about if I got cavities while pregnant, but I cant because I have not been to the dentist since right before my wedding. Probably about 2 years from this very day!! How horrible is that?

And Justin does floss or do anything special with his teeth. I see him brush in the morning but at night, Im not so sure of that. We have no idea if he has cavities or not because he refuses to go to the dentist, absolutely hate them! He said if they would put him under to clean his teeth he would go, but even then I know he wouldnt.

Okay, well now I have given you too much information.

But I am going to schedule an appt with the dentist now that you have reminded me:)

Kimberly said...

I meant Justin does NOT floss...

Katie said...

I've told you my take on all of this...how often, or rarely, I floss. You've heard of binge dieting? Well if there were such a pattern for flossing, mine would go something like that. SPurts. But what I really want to know is, can you be a closet flosser? And...what is flossing age, exactly...being "of age," as you mentioned? :)

Adam said...

I have never ever flossed two days in a row. And I still have great teeth!

Sarah Kay said...

Well I floss now that I am pregnant, and well my mom is the person who cleans my teeth so I always take it with a grain of salt. When she asked me how often I flossed I said, hey going from nothing to something will have to be good enough, but now you have me nervous. Think its bad going to the dentist, try having your mother be the one holding the sharp instruments.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Adam! Great teeth -- you're not fooling anyone.

Anonymous said...

to be honest, i never liked to brush my teeth. always thought it was such a bother, esp. when i'm sleepy.. but i've learned to spare my friends of dragon breath, so yeah. the sonicare helps. as far as flossing goes... uh.. once in a blue moon for me. but the dentist rarely says anything since i rarely go. :) while we're on the subject, i wonder if there's a good (inexpensive) way to get your teeth whitened? that would be fun.

Brooke said...

I'm a total nerd... but I floss just about every day. However, I have a reason. If I stop, I develop gingivitis, and that's no good :( (Not quite sure what gingivtis actually is, but it hurts and makes my gums bleed).

Adam never flosses and goes to the dentist half as often as I do and is always told he has perfect teeth. I have to go twice a year, floss every day, and I'm never told that.

What???