Monday, October 30, 2006

Don't Hold Your Breath

All of you who freak out whenever I call you these days because you think I'm in labor...you can relax. According to the doctor I saw today, I am officially NOT dilated at all. After hearing this sad news, and then barely hearing him say that I might as well go ahead and schedule my 41 week appointment, he rattled off something about how if the baby doesn't come on her own by then we'll have to start thinking induction and possible C-section. Good Lord.

In complete discouragement I waddled out to the receptionist's desk to make my next appointment. Unfortunatley, I did not get the memo about making appointments months in advance, and the cranky lady at the computer chewed me out for not making my appointment before now. Um, my 41 week post-due date appointment?? Apparently there is not one single appointment available that week, the week I will officially be overdue, and she got all up in arms about how to fit me in. Finally she told me she couldn't do anything and I would have to talk to a supervisor tomorrow and get special permission to be squeezed in.

So after being served the news that by body is not, in fact, gearing up for labor, and that I am not, in fact, just fat enough yet, and after I get yelled at in front of a waiting room of perfectly pre-scheduled pregnant women...I headed out into the dark parking lot barely holding back the tears. I made it to my car only to discover that someone had parked their car over the line of my parking spot and I could not, for the life of me, get into my front driver's seat. What a cruel joke! I'm already feeling fat and overdue, I've just been told that I'm only going to get fatter. (And upon reading my weekly Baby Center update today on my baby's development at 39 weeks...all she's doing now is "putting on fat." Greaaaaat.)

So, in completely ungraceful fashion, I waddled around to my passenger side door, climbed over the seats and into the driver's seat. It was not pretty. And judging by my make-up smeared, tear-streaked face upon arriving in our driveway, it's a miracle I made it home without hitting something.

So yes, I'm still pregnant. No, I'm not feeling great. And I really don't care to hear any more stories about women being told they were weeks away from delivery, only to go into labor that night and be rushed to the hospital, delivering within an hour. I've dreamed of that for the past two weeks, and it accomplished nothing. I've taken long walks, eaten spicy food, cleaned my house, endured contractions that keep me up all night...nothin'. So frustrating.

But I guess when you put it all in perspective...it WILL happen soon. We WILL have a baby girl in no more than three weeks. I WILL be done being pregnant in three weeks. It's just going to be a very long three weeks.

So thanks for caring, for thinking about us, for being excited for us. I look forward to finally indulging you all with the news that she's finally here...but please, don't keep your cell phones on your night stands. You'll only be disappointed.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I can totally empathize with having to crawl into your car (pregnant) because some jerk parked too close. When I was pregnant with Halle, I had gone to the store and some idiot parked so close to me that I couldn't have gotten in the car even if I wasn't pregnant. My experience wasn't on top of cruddy news and an ignorant nurse, but I can at least identify with that part.

Hang in there... =)

Anonymous said...

Hi Annika,
I think I've commented once or twice before, but I'm not sure if you remember who I am. My name is Liz, and I went to high school with Eric. I told him this via e-mail but I'm not sure the comment made its way back to you, so I wanted to post it here as well.
I get *so* much enjoyment from your journal...you have a prosaic style that is just UNmatched as far as eloquence and insight go. I have alternately been moved to tears and found myself laughing out loud while reading about Jack's exploits of toddlerhood and your ever-encircling journey through motherhood. I must have had this thought a hundred different times..."she should write an anecdotal book on Christian parenting!"

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I will be praying for you, for comfort and peace of mind. I know you must feel like you'll be pregnant 'til Easter, but try to hang in. You have a GREAT attitude...you're right- no matter what she OR your body does or does not do...she WILL be here within a certain window of time.

If you wouldn't mind e-mailing me so I could get your address, I would appreciate it...little girl stuff is SO precious and the other day I saw something and wanted to get it for y'all as a baby gift. I understand if you don't want to give your address to someone who is a stranger to you and who Eric hasn't seen in ten years...IF so, let me know and I will...um...oh! I'll send it to Rishi, so HE can send it to you. : )

Godspeed, friends...I admire you both so much and I am so happy for y'all to be experiencing this wondrous, blessed time in your lives.

Sincerely,
Liz Adkisson (formerly Liz Nunes, WW class of '98)

If you can e-mail me, my address is:
Liz@TheRedBirdBoutique.com

The Martin Family said...

I can't believe you had to crawl over the passenger side! What a trooper! You're in my prayers :)