Weeks pregnant: 41+
Days overdue: 9
Hours slept last night: 8!!!! (It's about time!)
Rooms cleaned today: 5
Contractions felt per hour: 6 on average
Bowls of ice cream: 2
Trips to the bathroom: lost track
Hospital bags packed: 1 large
Seasame Street DVD's viewed today: 4
Messages on our answering machine from people assuming I'm in labor just because we're not home: 12
Times today my heart melted when my beautiful, firstborn son snuggled with me and hugged me and kissed my belly repeatedly: too many to count
Tuesday, November 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Annika! I am so, so thrilled to hear you sounding a little more content and at peace than you have been! The time is so near, you must be mad with excitement. I have heard so many second-time moms say things about how the first delivery is the one that "awed" them most, but the second one is the one that they felt more in control of and remembered more details of...because the first time, you're so frantic about doing everything "right" and "on time", whereas the second time around, you know what to expect AND you know that the baby certainly creates his/her (HER!) own timeline, and generally will not be dissuaded from it for any reason! ; )
I just encourage you to speak up regarding the induction process...if you feel they are giving you too much whereas, don't be afraid to say. Nowadays hospitals tend to overload women with pitocin, to be "sure" things get moving. This is the main reason for the astronomical rise in the number of c-sections in the last twenty years...overload of pitocin causes the body to have contractions SO strong and SO fast...much more than our bodies are meant to handle. So yes, labor progresses quickly, but then near what should be the end of labor, your body just says "no more, I can't" and thus rapid-fire surgery ensues!
Sheesh, I am AWFUL, aren't I? I know the worst thing in the world for pregnant women is when people come along and act like they know everything about everything...I promise I am trying my best NOT to be that way! And you are SO well-read and educated that I'm sure you know these things already.
But, my years as a breastfeeding counselor and birth-plan advocate have seen far too many women who KNOW what kind of delivery they want, and then because of a pit-overload, they end up with the absolute opposite of what they wanted.
Lest anyone think I am some militant "anti-csection" hooligan...I'm not! Really! ;) I know c-sections have their life-saving place in medicine and childbirth. BUT...I also know that the medical climate we live in, where doctors schedule women for c-sections even though they are perfectly healthy, the BABY is perfectly healthy, and there are no inward OR outward signs of distress...is ... insane!
Just be calm and informed...if your precious baby girl is doing fine and you are as well, there is no need for them to give you enough pitocin to make a squirrel pop out a rhinoceros. :) A little usually does it...it just takes time, which is what it's ALL about. If they get you delivered quicker, they can get you OUT quicker thereby freeing up the bed. I hope and pray you have an excellent hospital...I know you live in a good area for it and have already spoken about good medical staff being present on the day of your induction, so...GO you!
In all seriousness, I am in fervent prayer that our gracious Lord who has blessed you & Eric with this second, wonderfully promising new life will also bless you with absolute peace during your hospital stay and delivery, and that you will remember every single wonderful moment of this! I pray that the brotherhood and sisterhood forming before your eyes will stay imprinted on your heart long after Jack gets over the wide-eyed wonder of meeting his precious, anything-but-pink swaddled baby sister.
You all are surrounded by love and continuously being lifted up to Jesus right now...I know I'm just one of many who can't wait for you to welcome this gift into a life filled with unconditional love and the ever-growing faith and obedience of her parents.
I know, I know...can anyone yammer on more than me? I doubt it! I just wanted to say these things while I still had the chance. As always, I'm so very sorry for monopolizing your blog and being so long-winded. I am just *so* excited for y'all!
One last sentiment, my new and much-admired friend: Godspeed!
Praise God for Jack's tender heart and loving ways!! Can I tell you how teary eyed I am over this. God is good.
I love you and can't wait to meet the little one.
love
Kim
Post a Comment