Saturday, February 18, 2006

The Durbins are back...

Hi to all our long-lost friends...we are finally getting settled into our new house. Just today we finished going through the last storage bin and got things organized in the garage (and out of the living room!)...So we're finally feeling a bit more at home. I told Eric today as I was sorting through random candles and picture frames and couch accent pillows, "I can't even keep up with the everyday, normal to-do list because there's still so much unpacking to be done...if I keep up with the dishes and the laundry and the cooking...things just stay in the boxes and continue to collect dust. But if I spend the day unpacking then YOU have to do the dishes, we eat out, and there's no clean underwear in the morning!" It feels great to have a box-free dining- and living-room! And tonight I made dinner AND washed the dishes AND did laundry!

We are also really enjoying the family that lives in the basement apartment; they have a son, Simeon, who was born the day before Jack! The boys love to play together, and by "play" I mean take what ever toy the other is holding out of his hands. It's amusing to watch. We feel very blessed to have made new friends already; last night we had dinner downstairs and, after a quick bedtime-for-babies break, we sat and talked with Rob and Janet until almost midnight--lots of laughing and sharing stories and learning about each other. We look forward to a summer of playing at the park down the street with Simeon, playing vollyball in the backyard and barbecuing together, and maybe even hosting a joint garage sale!

On a different but very important note: Jack started walking this week! He took his first 3 steps to Eric, and seems to only want to walk to Eric! He's branching out a little, though; the other night we were sitting on the couch talking and we suddenly noticed that Jack was half way across the living room. I think he noticed then, too, because he abruptly fell on his bottom. He's walked to me a few times now, and has walked to Grandma a few times, too--always followed by an enthusiastic "Yay!!! GOOD BOY!! You're SO good, Jack!!" It's so exciting--as every new step (haha!) is--but also is a reminder that he's not a little newborn anymore...he's almost 1! Truly amazing...this year has flown by.

Ok....pictures coming soon...also an update on Jack at 10 months (for those of you who truly enjoy knowing how our child is developing--grandparents!). Thanks for still checking our blog even though we've been MIA for the past month.

4 comments:

Kimberly said...

Happy to have you back:) I am so thrilled for you that you are all moved in and unpacked, I bet you are relieved to be all done. And how great is it that you love the people living in the basement apartment, that is wonderful, I am so very happy for you!

And Jack is walking, I bet you are thrilled. I bet you cannot believe how fast he is growing.

Looking forward to the pics that are soon too come.

Adam said...

So many exciting things! It's great to read the latest update and to hear you guys are doing well.

Katie said...

WOW. I can't believe he's this big already!! Wow.

Anonymous said...

are you back in wheaton now??? send me your contact info!