Friday, September 04, 2009

Apparently I wasn't clear enough when I said, "You have to throw it into the water..."

As much as I am often overwhelmed by motherhood, there are certainly those days when my kids make me smile way more than they make me want to cry, and today was one of them.

There's a little zoo (actually it's a farm) in town that the kids love to visit (and it's free!) so we went earlier this week, as we've been having fantastic weather lately. We arrived just in time for duck feeding at the pond, and Jack and Ellie were very disappointed when I explained that the (stupid) zoo people were charging a whole dollar for a cup of duck food and that I didn't have any money with me. (Seriously? Do they have to charge a dollar? Aren't we saving them labor by feeding the animals for them?) They watched enviously as other kids threw handfuls of food into the pond where the ducks would crowd around and swarm the food and it was all great fun.

So this morning we went back with money in hand. (Ellie later told Eric, "We fed money to the ducks!") I rounded up $2 worth of dimes from around our household; I put ten dimes in a little baggy for each of them and they proudly handed them over to the (stupid) zoo worker to receive their cups of food.

Now, before we got out of the car at the zoo, I gave them a little lesson in duck-feeding etiquette; I showed them how they can't hold the food out in their hands or the ducks might bite their fingers (they are quite aggressive ducks!). Instead, they needed to throw the food into the the water. I demonstrated taking food from the cup and throwing it. (I know, I'm such a good mom.)

So, in perfect first-born fashion, Jack gets his cup of food, and he proceeds to take one teensy pellet at a time and throw it into the pond. Those poor hungry ducks. He was still thrilled to pieces and didn't seem to notice the ducks flocking to the kid down the way who was throwing handfuls at a time. He LOVED watching which duck would "win," as he said, and was perfectly content to draw out the whole event and take his sweet little time.

Ellie, on the other hand, took my How to Feed to Ducks lesson quite literally, poor baby. She had her cup of food all of three seconds before she walked to the little bridge and flung the entire thing into the water...plastic cup and all. Oh my goodness, I about died laughing. She looked at me glowing and said, "I frew it, Mommy!" so proud of herself. I looked over to see if any zoo workers noticed, and that's when I saw a sign that said, "Please return your plastic cups to the counter." Whoops.

The sweetest thing though, was how Jack shared his pellets so generously with Ellie when he noticed she didn't have any left and she was feeling a little sad...of course, he only gave her one at a time.

And after lots of warning NOT to give any duck food to Samantha ("So WHY don't we give any to Samantha?" "Cause she's gonna eats it!" "That's right..."), Jack handed her a teeny pellet, and to my surprise she copied all the other kids and threw it over the fence! A bazillion ducks flocked over and she wouldn't stop shrieking with glee. It was so fun.

On the way home Jack asked for a snack, specifying his desire for french fries, and in one of the strangest sentences I've ever said I replied, "No honey, we can't buy any french fries today because we spent our money on duck food."

I love my kids.

6 comments:

Carolyn Broughton said...

Annika, I absolutely love reading your blog. You are hysterical! I read this latest post to James, and we both cracked up. I love hearing about your kids' personalities... we're expecting our second in October, and I can't wait to see how different he/she is from Will! And, I can totally relate to a) feeling tired all the time; b) sitting down to blog and giving up because it either takes too long or I just have too many stories to share and can't get my thoughts together; and c) loving my kid(s), especially as Will is just learning to talk and just starting that really cute "I-pick-up-a-new-word/phrase-every-day" phase. Keep blogging! And we will be praying for your mom. That must just be so incredibly hard, especially with your kids at the ages they are... I can't imagine. We'll be thinking of you.

Love,
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have brought the grandkids to come "throw food at the ducks" with you guys.... it would have been really fun. The rate I'm going your kids will be all grown up by the time I ever meet them...
Anyway sounds like a lot of fun and I'm glad there are still some free things to do -- and why a dollar here at our zoo I think it's still just a quarter a handful... guess it's just the "big city" :)

anne said...

I agree about the dollar, maybe a quarter, but HELLO you are doing the work and ew...there is a chance the duck will slobber all over you. I say auto refund if that happens.
This was a great GREAT story.
Kids...you just never know do you?! :)

Katie said...

LOL! Way to get those priorities in order. No, he would've probably chosen ducks over fries, anyway. Cute post!! Love the part about Ellie, I can totally picture that! Wish I could squeeze her. (All of them.)

Amy said...

Oh, heavens...so funny! Thanks for sharing.

Julie said...

how cute, all of it! and oh my goodness, i can't get over ellie in that recent picture....when did she grow up?! she looks so old!! all of them do, but she stands out to me the most. they are all precious! samantha's expression is so sweet!