Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter

FamilyPicture copy

  EasterCross copy

During the first hymn of our Easter service this cross-shaped flower box is laying on the ground at the front of the sanctuary; all the families and members come forward and place flowers in it as we sing.  Then during the second hymn, "Lift High the Cross," this beautiful symbol of life is slowly raised up high above the audience (using some type of pulley system) for all to see and enjoy.  Today I stood at the back of the sanctuary in teary agony as I watched them raise the cross; I had a child on each knee, watching in wonder as petals floated down from the cross.  All down the aisle children were leaning out and watching with big eyes as this large but stunning display was raised high above their heads.  My camera sat just a few feet away and it killed me not to catch this sight on film, but my kids were quite clingy this morning and I couldn't move from my perch.  My heart was moved nonetheless, by both their untainted, innocent wonder and with the hope and yearning for my own especially to more deeply understand the meaning of this moment.

EllieEasterDress1 copy

EllieEasterDress2 copy

  DSC_0078 EllieByWindow copy

DSC_0063

EllieEasterBallon copy

JackEasterBalloon copy

After church we stopped at the grocery store for a few items, and Eric lovingly obliged the kids' begging for these special balloons (Jack's is Blue from "Blue's Clues" in case you can't see) as an Easter treat.  They were thrilled.  It's amazing how happy a simple balloon can make a child!  They both sat holding their "boons" while they watched a video at home, and happily showed them off to Grandma and Papa who came over for dinner later.  (The funny thing is that they get free balloons every week from Trader Joe's!  I guess these were extra spiffy...)  We also enjoyed a conversation (via Skype) with Aunt Marika, Uncle Jonathan, Mikaila, and Solomon, which is always a little crazy and fun, but so good to see my niece and nephew in action, and to hear Miss Mika Moo say, "Anni" when she sees my face! 

This Easter weekend was almost a repeat of last year's; I could have cut and pasted the same blog entry from a year ago...although maybe I should have read it prior to attempting to attend the Good Friday service BY MYSELF once again this year (Eric was singing in choir the whole service)...perhaps I would have remembered the time spent in the lobby and nursery and that I should have just caved and paid a babysitter instead of thinking somehow the kids would behave during the long, somber, quiet and dark service that goes well past their bedtime.  We ended up leaving as soon as Eric's duties were finished with the choir, me almost in tears at having missed yet another year's service.

However, last night we made the choice to sit down together  and watch "The Passion of the Christ."  I have been hesitant to watch it again as it was such an emotional and spiritual experience the last time, but thought perhaps I needed a bit of that right about now since I've missed so many of the Lenten and Holy Week services again this year.  It was powerful, agonizing, beautiful, and made today's celebration ten times more moving, meaningful, and joyful for both of us.

We hope that wherever you are in the world, you and your loved ones had a wonderful Easter celebrating the risen Christ and His victory over sin and death. 

Happy Easter!

7 comments:

andrea_jennine said...

Happy Easter (a day late)! Christ is risen indeed!

marika said...

easter dress. memories. maybe you'll have a girl and you can match them someday. =)

marika said...

easter dress. memories. maybe you'll have a girl and you can match them someday. =)

Katie said...

Aww, happy easter!! Your church has beautiful light!! What a great family picture... ok, well at leas of you and Eric, the kids look a little tired ans sugar-dazed. :)

Ellie is so cute watching tv next to her balloon... makes me remember M. at that age. :( :(

Kimberly said...

Happy Easter! Love the family picture, you look amazing:)

Julie said...

Sounds like an amazing service, and those flowers on the cross are beautiful! Jack & Ellie looked so cute in their Easter outfits!

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter! This whole blog amazes me. What a wonderful diary you're keeping for your family. I'm guessing a girl is next for the Durbin's. Just a hunch.