Because otherwise, well, otherwise I don't know what to think. Here are a few examples of things I've done lately:
--A few days ago Jack asked for ice water, as he often does (this weird child cannot stand juice). So I took out the ice cube trays, filled his cup sitting on the counter, returned the trays to the freezer, and went to fill his cup with water at the sink. Upon filling it up I realized there was no ice in the cup! What the...I know I just put ice in something. I suddenly realized I had put two ice cubes into an open jar of salad dressing that had been sitting next to his sippy cup!
--I finally got fed up with my refridgerator the other morning decided to clean it out. This meant not only scrubbing with hot soapy water, but also getting rid of suspicious foods and jars that have been there waaaay too long. I am not a great one for this job; I am so bad about leaving things in there for Eric to clean out because I cannot, CANNOT stand the smell of bad food. Eric will also tell you that if I am ever in doubt about whether a food is still good or not, I err on the side of HECK NO every single time. So this particular morning as I picked up a jar of baby food peaches from the fridge shelf I tried to remember how long it had been in there. I finally decided to be brave and smell it, figuring if it outright smelled bad then there was no question but to toss it. I opened up the lid, took a quick whiff, and WHOA. That does not smell like peaches anymore! As I breathed through my mouth only I began to rinse out the jar so I could recycle it (yes, I'm responsible that way), and as I did so I caught another whiff. Boy, I thought to myself, peaches-gone-bad kinda smell like squash. Getting a clue, I turned the bottle and checked the label, and sure enough: last night's squash (still perfectly not-bad), down the drain.
(This next example just goes to show how busy we've been, how even with a cool new minivan I haven't been able to get out to buy our family necessities...)
--Last Sunday we skipped church because 1) Eric was working real late Saturday night 2) it was the first Sunday in a long time when we weren't needed at church in some capactiy (nursery, music, etc) and 3) we figured with all the sicknesses going around we would give our kids a break from the germ-laden nursery for once. It would also give us the opportunity to go grocery shopping, since we were two days overdue and out of just about everything. And in saying "everything" I am not exaggerating...milk, bread, fruit, yogurt, anything to cook from the freezer...everything. We somehow fumbled through breakfast with hit or miss foods...graham crackers with one last jar of applesauce for the kids, and syrup-less frozen waffles for Eric and me. The problem came around lunchtime when we were still lagging behind and hadn't made it out yet...the question arose: well, what do we feed our kids? Not wanting to subject them to another fast food meal (as they generally only eat the fries anyway...gross!) we started to pick through our quite-empty fridge. I am embarrassed to say that, much to his delight, Jack ended up having a bowl of ice cream (last bit scraped from the carton) and one scrambled egg for lunch that day! I'm not sure what's worse: this lunch or the time I forgot to feed him altogether.
On a side note: it appears that instead of protecting OUR kids from the infectious church nursery, we were, in fact, protecting the OTHER children from our own...as Jack has spent the last twenty four hours throwing up and battling a 104.5 fever. Go figure.
Bring on the laundry...
Tuesday, February 19, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment