
Last week I took the kids out for a last drive in the 4-Runner. It didn't start out that way; there had been a blizzard the day before, so we went through the Arboretum for some snowy forest views (so glad I brought my camera). I have been getting major cases of cabin fever lately, with all the bad (i.e. cold, windy, snowy) weather we've been experiencing. Just the thought of getting out to do ANYTHING is appealing. It wasn't until I was out there driving around that I realized this was our last day with the car, and how better to bid her farewell than to let her stretch her wings and show off her stuff on these icy, snowy roads? (I'll miss her 4 wheel drive for sure!) The kids enjoyed it; we stopped for a special treat of "fwies" on the way so Jack was quite contented (Mommy got a "watte" instead. And she was very content...). Enjoy our winter wonderland pictures, and pay your last respects to my favorite car ever.

3 comments:
Anka-
Those icy-yet-warmth-filled blue eyes and rosy cheeks...you could parade those kids in a Toys R Us catalog and buy a stretch 4Runner!
Seriously, though...I am so sorry you have to trade in your beloved car. I know a minivan seems like a step down, but I have seen at least half a dozen people go from SUV/sedan to minivan, kicking and screaming EVERY step of the way...and then evolve into proud MVM's (mini-van-moms) very quickly. From my experience (which granted, is limited) their convenience is just unmatched.
Plus, having three carseats across any vehicle is just not a good idea, even if you COULD have fit all three in the 'Runner. When I stayed with an old friend's three kids for six weeks (she was traveling with her husband- it was only supposed to be a week, but that's another story for another day) ages almost 3, almost 2, and fourteen weeks...it was a *nightmare* that they could all reach across and grab each other. One time on the way to church I had to pull over seven times to extricate toddler's hair from baby's hand, extricate baby's pacifier from jealous toddler's hand, etc.
Later on, her neighbor lent me their red Honda Odyssey and it was like going from Wal Mart to Gucci. (No offense to Walmart, I go there at least twice per week ;)
Anyway, putting the baby in the passenger side second row and the two older kids in the back row on opposite sides of the vehicle...man, it saved my sanity. Plus I loved all the little cubbies and things...there is a place for everything in a minivan, truly.
Another plus...and this isn't from firsthand experience, but the same neighbor who lent me the Odyssey said that getting in/out and up/down as well as lifting kids in/out of it was a BREEZE compared to the SUV, particularly in the first weeks post-birth of her second and third babies.
I know you'll still be sad to see it go, but I promise you will see *some* goodnesses to your new life-phase as a mini-van driver!
And as per the absolute norm, your photos are stunning. You really should consider a home-based photography business...you could make a bundle doing at-home photo shoots of kids and families. I'd do your website for free : ^)
(seriously)
Hang in, toots. I bet the mini is puuuurty in her own way!
-Liz
elizabeth_adkisson@eml.cc
I wish I could come and visit you and see all this snow! I know you are probably over the whole "winter wonderland" bit, haha!
Cute pics of the kids, Ellie smiling so big and Jack busy looking out the window. :)
How beautiful! (The snow and the children.) :) I bet it was so quiet, I remember how the snow padded everything and made it so quiet and peaceful... and COLD. :)
Post a Comment