
A few weeks ago, on my birthday weekend, we had the opportunity to take Jack to the zoo. The college has these family days where there's a great package, all-inclusive deal--when I was young we went to Six Flags Great America--this year the destination was Chicago's Brookfield Zoo. We had grand plans for spending the day taking in all the exotic sights, but in the process we somehow forgot Jack's need for naptime! So we made the best of it and spent a long, hot morning and lunchtime wandering around, trying to find animals that were moving so Jack would pay attention... We also enjoyed the dolphin show--my first ever!--and a great barbeque lunch provided by the college, too. Enjoy the pictures...especially of our little monkey!


Second breakfast...

I love this picture because it reminds me of Jack when he crosses his legs in his high chair, thoroughly satisfied with his meal. The elephant did this after eating, and just stood there for awhile, no doubt content.





That joey looks awfully familiar...

Grumpy camels (Jack has a zoo book that says camels are "too grumpy"; however, I don't think he made the connection. In fact I'm not sure he even noticed the camels.)




Clapping for the dolphins

Yay!

We sat on the very top row--next to the windows!! It was SO very hot, and this was the only relief we felt all day...the breeze coming in to cool us down...a little bit. We also changed Jack's clothes here because I felt too bad leaving him in his overalls--too many layers for such a day!







In the "Tropic World" (I know, my Floridian friends, don't laugh--it's hard to imagine anything in Chicago being called "tropic"). This was the ape house that went through South American, African, and Asian primate species. It was really amazing...and cool in some places, like by this waterfall.


I believe this is an ant-eater...but I could not tell you what is the front of this animal and what is the backend...isn't it bizarre looking?

Swinging monkeys...look carefully!


"Ohhhhh."

Getting hot and in need of a nap...

Baby gorilla in mama's arms

Another baby and mama

"You hear me, Fred? Don't you EVER throw your poop at me again."


If you look carefully, this mama is nursing her little one!


This was just too funny not to capture on film...this mama gorilla was swinging back and forth in this position, and her little one, which you can't see in the picture, would wack her on the head every time she passed by him!

Hangin' out

Oooh--zebras! (Jack's favorite Baby Einstien animal puppet--Baby Monet, anyone?)


Eric was making monkey noises (actually mimicking Jack's tired whines) and Jack thought it was hilarious...


Sweaty head, poor kid--he would NOT wear his hat all day, even the one with the chin strap that I looked all over for...he HATES having hats on his head. I'm not looking forward to this summer!!

Finally in the car that is finally pumped full of air-conditioning, finally on our way home around 3 pm.

Silly boy! Eric was trying to share his water...Jack thought it was some kind of funny game and he would just put his whole mouth around the opening, and instead of swallowing he let it all run down his chest. It must have felt good...I admit the thought sounded good to me at the time, too!


2 comments:
FUN! I LOVE the overalls and sandals. So cute. I can't believe he's walking... I always forget that until I see pics like this. I bet in real life I'd be shocked at how big he is. "In real life..." HA! How sad is that... that it's that rare we see each other?
I want to hear more about your birthday... I never asked. :( I want to know what else you did and how it went.
I love the pictures of Jack holding the rope and of course with that big grin in his carseat. He is such a beautiful boy! And so happy.
Okay, so you had a birthday?! When was it? That is it, I am sending out a request for all birthdays today!!
Post a Comment