Abigail Jane Durbin, born today at 5:21 pm, weighing 8 pounds and 21 inches long. I am so very thankful for a wonderful labor experience; in my opinion (does anyone else's count?) it was the best one so far. A very quick labor story (because let's face it, I don't think I'm going to get this down for the record once I get home!)...
We got to the hospital around 8 am this morning and discovered that I was already having contractions on my own! We started pitocin around 9am; at that point they said I was dilated about 2 cm. I was so nervous because I've heard horrible things about inductions and pitocin and how painful it can be. My labor nurse was so great and encouraging, as well as keeping me informed about what she was doing throughout the day, which was so helpful. I found out later that she was supposed to be off duty at 3 but she stayed until well after 7 to see me through...what a gift! (She also asked for my photography info before she left...nothing like labor to bring in clients!)
My water broke on its own around 11, but I was still only about 3cm dilated. I got an epidural around 1pm, not making much progress with dilation, but feeling much better. My last two epidural experiences with Ellie and Samantha were not good; both times I got them fairly late in the game and started pushing almost immediately afterward. This time I was able to get totally relaxed and say good-bye to the pain!
Eric and I spent the day dozing, updating Facebook, and watching the latest Harry Potter movie. After I got the epidural I got the chills a few times...gotta love those heated blankets. Once I was nice and warm I finally got a good long nap in...funny that it took labor and an epidural for me to get some good rest!
I progressed fairly slowly throughout the afternoon, inching my way up to a 4, then a 5, then a 5 1/2...a little discouraging. Abigail was also moving around a lot, and the nurse said that because her head wasn't engaged enough she wasn't putting as much pressure on my cervix, thus my slow dilation. They sat me up just a bit, and it must have helped, because I started to dilate quite fast after that.
The nurse noticed the baby's heart rate changing on the monitor, along with very strong contractions (which, praise the Lord--I didn't feel at all!) and she came in to check and we were at a 9. She brilliantly had everyone get prepared "just in case" and got the doctor paged...and sure enough, moments later I suddenly felt the urge to push...and we were ready!
Another sign of a perfect epidural: no pain at all, but I could still feel the pressure and the strong contractions signaling me to push...perfect levels all around. I began pushing, and then in between pushing we were laughing with the doctor...such a strange experience, but one I wouldn't trade. I did four sets of three strong pushes, and she was out...the fastest I've ever pushed a baby out! It took about 15 minutes or less! My other pushing times were 4 hours, 45 min, and over an hour...so this felt miraculous to me.
Abigail is doing well now; she has a small issue with her white blood cell count, because apparently her blood and mine mixed through the placenta, and we have incompatible types, so her levels are a little off. They're keeping a close eye on her and testing her periodically and also pushing her fluids (i.e. formula, which I'm not crazy about...but my milk isn't in yet). I'm hoping to get some good sleep tonight...we'll see what Miss Abigail thinks about that!
Thank you for praying for us and checking in on us. Hopefully we can get some pictures uploaded soon. For now...SLEEP. Goodnight!
Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Congratulations and welcome baby Abigail! I'm so glad you had a good labor experience. Aaron and I will have to come meet your newest little one soon...
-Andrea
Congratulations! So glad everything went well!! I just assumed you didnt get induced when I never heard from you!! Love to you, can't wait for pictures!
I am so glad everything went so smoothly! Madalyn's labor and delivery was like that for me... my last epidural was my first lop-sided one and that STUNK. ANYWAY... Abigail is BEAUTIFUl, as are all of the hospital pics of the family. She was born one day after my brother. :) I can't get over how precious your Christmas card pics are, either... so much to be thankful for in those 4 little people. :)
Annika- Just now saw that my Jackson Thomas and Abigail were the exact same weight and length... perfect as far as I'm concerned!
Emily Allen
Post a Comment