Monday, March 09, 2009

Ummm....

I can't recall if I've mentioned this on our blog before or not, but Ellie has been really fighting us on wanting to stand up to pee (wanting to be just like Jack). Apparently so much so that Eric finally sat her down the other night and tried to explain the phenomenon of girls and boys having different "parts," and that because her "part" is different she has to SIT on the potty to go pee-pee. Not knowing this, it took me FOREVER to figure out what she was saying the other night while she was going potty, but I finally realized she was saying the V word. (I am not uncomfortable with these words but my friend Kim will pass out for all eternity if she reads those words so I will refrain. For Kim's sake. If she still reads my blog. Does anyone still read my blog? I digress.)

The thing is, the V word came out of Ellie's mouth sounding like "Jonah," which just so happens to be Jack's favorite Veggie Tales movie. So he overheard us talking about what SOUNDED like "Jonah" and came running into the bathroom to see what we were talking about. So then I'm standing there wondering how far to go with this discussion, when Jack starts to point to himself, down there, and saying what sounded like, "Jonah." I just couldn't help myself.

Me: "No honey, you don't have a V. You have a P."

Ellie: "Jack no Jonah. Jack have PEE-nisp."

Jack: "No, no! I have Jonah, too! Mommy, mommy, look, I have Jonah, too!"

Me: "No sweetie...girls like Mommy and Samantha and Ellie are different from boys like you and Daddy. God made us different, isn't that cool?"

Ellie: "Yeah."

Jack: "NOOOO!"

Awkward silence.

Jack: (pulls down pants and looks between his legs) "LOOK!!! My JONAH!!!!"

I laughed so hard that I think he got upset and I felt like the worst mother ever. Then I found myself uttering words I never dreamed of to my three-year-old son,

Me: "Okay, honey. You have a V too."

Jack: (through tears) "Thank you really much, Mommy."

I have no idea if I did the right thing or the wrong thing, but man...I had to get this one down on paper! (I mean, on a server somewhere?)

So far I don't have the best track record with these discussions...it will be interesting (terrifying?) to see how I do when the "How can I be part of you and part of daddy" questions come 'round. Yikes.

8 comments:

Kimberly said...

Thank YOU for sparing me, I'm red from head to toe just reading "V" and knowing the implication. ha!!

This post is hilarious. Im sure you didn't do anything wrong. He is three after all and I can't imagine letting him think he and Ellie share a body part will do any permanent damage.

My favorite line, "thank you really much, Mommy"

Such a sweet boy.

Kimberly said...

And for the record, I have this feeling Jonah is rolling over in his grave right now. Lord have mercy!

andrea_jennine said...

Oh my!

anne said...

I still read your blog!!! Weekly I look for posts!
I'm DYING right now Annika.
This is hillarious. Looks like we both are in simular boats...and having NO IDEA what to say.
When Max asked me how Liam came out, I just laughed. I couldn't think of something clever. I'm so lame. I had some good suggestions on my post though.
At least you answered him instead of changing the subject like me!

Amy said...

So darn funny, I cried! Oh, goodness. I think you did the right thing, for now. What good is it going to do to argue? That whole conversation is so interesting.

One of my favorite questions from Noah was, "Mama, do you have a penis?"

Linnea said...

Man, I am not looking forward to those conversations. Already Jonah (at 17 months) thinks Mommy has three belly buttons. (All three poke out and kinda look the same!) That ended our showering together time.

Julie said...

oh my gosh, i laughed so hard!! i love these hilarious moments of trying to rationalize with toddlers. thanks for sharing...miss you!

Katie said...

Oh my gosh, I am rolling!! TOO funny.