Sunday, September 07, 2008

Jack couldn't look more bored in this picture, don't you think?


This is from a shoot I did of the kids a few weeks ago but haven't had time to weed through all the pictures yet...which seems to be a theme in my life right now: not enough time.

Once again I am very, very behind on blog writing.  I have a stash of blog entries going on in my head, which kind of amuses me at times; I roll my eyes at myself for having an imaginary blog, where the posts that I write in my head while doing dishes or nursing or cleaning up toys get posted but read by no one.  Sad, really.  But I also wondered recently what my life would be like if I didn't have a blog, if I didn't have a place to document our family life, like potty training and lost luggage (which, by the way, is still lost), birth accounts and foreign travel, motherhood mishaps and childhood milestones.  Would I feel less burden for having to record these significant events?  Who even cares?  

On the one hand, I view blogging as kind of a year-round family newsletter, a way of keeping in touch with friends on a more regular basis.  So that makes me feel like I should be making time to sit down and "report" on such things as Eric's new job or Jack going to school, for all of you who care and want to know.  So perhaps my blog is like one big mass email.

On the other hand...there may be a good reason people send out yearly newsletters at Christmas time: because there is no expectation for detailed accounts of all the year's events, so instead you end up with nicely (or so you hope) summed up highlights and significant happenings, making you feel like you're caught up on that family's life and are still "in touch."

But...with blogging there also seems to be some community and interaction, with the comments and blog-hopping that goes on.  And for people who really care, like grandparents and close friends, blogging provides instant access to pictures of grandkids doing everyday things, allowing us to get to know each other's kids and families fairly well.  

However...I'm not sure how I feel about so many people knowing so much about my family!  It's very odd when I see someone that I hardly know and they tell me how much they love my blog, and I'm like, "I'm sorry what was your name again?  And how did you find my blog?  (i.e. which friend-of-a-friend sent you here)"  When I post or write things I usually have a certain audience in mind, like my closest girlfriends and a few members of our extended family.  But recently my former youth pastor (hi Vince!) told me he enjoyed my post on potty training and I thought to myself, "Whoa.  How many times did I use the word poop in that post?  How many other people read that post?"  

Anyhow...I know this post is borderline going-nowhere, but it's stemming from waaaaay too many thoughts about blogging and those imaginary posts I mentioned above and the guilt I've felt at being so behind at posting...and it's also almost 11:30pm so I think now I'm just rambling.  And everyone is asleep so nothing is tearing me away from blogging at this point.  So I could go on .  And on.  But I won't.

We have had an eventful last few weeks, with the highlights being Eric starting his new job, Jack starting preschool, and Eric's 28th birthday, to name a few.  I will try to report on them in Christmas letter-like fashion here:

--Eric's job: He was hired as the Administrative Assistant to the Vice Provost at the college here.  I still don't know exactly what that means, and I'm not sure he does either, and I'm not even sure the people who hired him know what it means for that matter!  The position is a slightly altered version of its previous one, so it's got a learning curve to it for sure.  It's been interesting for Eric to go from working security for so many years, and seeing one side of the college, and then to jump all the way to the President's office and be in such a different environment.  Good, but different.  He is generally enjoying it and we are grateful for the regular hours.  He is taking a Dale Carnegie course one night a week and also working some overtime at security, and I am teaching piano lessons one or two nights a week so we are busy.  But very, very thankful for this new position.  (By the way, for those of you who are regular readers...this job opportunity came up the day after my night-time "encouragement" from the Lord that I wrote about a few weeks ago, when I felt His assurance that He was holding us so close to Himself!)

--Jack's Preschool: Jack officially starts this Tuesday at a church preschool for 3's that meets two mornings a week.  I have watched several friends of mine send their kids to school for the first time this year, and all the accompanying emotions, and as I read/heard about their experiences I got teary-eyed and weepy and emotional.  But when it came time for Jack, I was just...excited.  I told Eric that I felt bad that I haven't been more sentimental about my baby going to school, but I think that it's because I've been a teacher, and I've BEEN in school with kids, and I (generally) know what happens while they're away from mom and dad, and I'm just so excited for Jack to get to experience that!  My mom taught preschool for a very long time so I am thrilled to see how he does and how much he loves it.  We had orientation last week and while it was a bit surreal, I am so touched by the ministry of these loving teachers and am so thankful that he will be in such a nurturing environment.  He was smitten with the train table...that's all he talks about when we ask about "Jack's school."  He was very excited the day we went for our visit, kept talking about Jack's school all morning, and while we were there he kept pointing at things and saying, "Mommy, Jack's trains!  Mommy, Jack's blocks!  Mommy, Jack's books!" as if just because this was "Jack's School" that meant everything in it was also his.  So sweet.  He did have a little freak out about snack time, as he didn't like the snack (I know, big surprise).  We'll see how he does without me around.

And finally (see, I am just not cut out for Christmas-letter-highlight style updates!!)

--Eric's birthday: we got to celebrate twice this past week; once with our good friends Brandon and Amy (dinner out!) and again tonight with Sarah Kay and Nate and little Sophia who were in from out of town.  (Jack and Sophia went NUTS over each other and were laughing hysterically at each other most of the time.  So wonderful and weird to watch our children play together!)  Happy Birthday honey!

Those are the significant events from the past few weeks, for those of you that are keeping up.  That's all I have the energy for tonight.  Perhaps in another few weeks I can think of something more creative to write about.  For now...goodnight, friends! 

4 comments:

andrea_jennine said...

Glad to have these updates! We have been swamped, too...

Katie said...

Happy birthday, Eric! Glad life is busy and happy. :)

anne said...

Jack looks serious...not bored. :)
Great update, and though you guys are busy, you sound like things are going well! Hooray for that!
Ps- fyi...I too have ongoing posts in my head, but by the time I get back to the computer they are gone. Ah well.

Kimberly said...

Im dying to see the rest of the pictures from this shoot!