(Our first-ever First Day of School photo!)
Yes, today was Jack's first day of preschool. He was SO excited. Almost hyper, even. Everything he talked about this morning had the word "school" in there somewhere. He was beside himself when we got in the car, kept saying his teacher's name and talking about his new bag and telling Ellie about "Jack's school." It was great.
I told my mom yesterday that a number of my friends have recently sent their kids to school for the first time, and that it was a very emotional experience for them. I got choked up reading their accounts of sending the kids off, about how time flies, and could they really be ready for school? But for some reason I have not been emotional at all about Jack going to school. I surmised that it was due to the fact that I've been a teacher, I've been the one receiving the kids from teary-eyed parents, assuring them we'd have a great time. I know what goes on during the day, I have an idea of what Jack will be doing, and I have been so excited for him to be able to enter into one of my most favorite arenas: the classroom! Plus, my mom taught preschool for eleven years and I often helped her, so it thrills me in a nostalgic way for him to be headed off into this new world.
(This is what they gave me when I told them to smile.)
As we pulled into the parking lot today he shouted, "SCHOOL! There it is, Mommy!" and chattered on and on while we waited in the drop off line. When his teacher opened the car door he yelled, "Brinley!" (we're still working on "Mrs") and began a long string of mosty unintelligible chit-chat about his bag and his sisters and school. He hardly even turned around to say goodbye, he was so excited. The teacher laughed and said she'd never seen a child so enthusiastic about his first day!
As I started to pull away Ellie began crying and saying, "Me! Me! Mommy, Me!!" I felt so bad. I told her we would go get a little treat just for Mommy and Ellie, and that contented her.
And then it happened. I noticed the empty seat in the back of the car. And I started to cry. And I couldn't stop. I did NOT see this coming!
(Jack getting silly)
I took my girls to Starbucks and nursed a Double Non-fat Toffee Nut Latte WITH WHIP (so much for non-fat!) for awhile and it helped. Then we popped in Trader Joe's for a few grocery items; I immediately noticed that the majority of shoppers were moms with toddlers! Must be magic hour. I don't get out much in the mornings so I found this slightly amusing. Ellie got an apple fruit bar, which she promptly inhaled, and pink balloon (to match her outfit) at the checkout and she was a happy camper.
The morning passed fairly quickly and it was time to pick him up. When we pulled up to the door I heard him yell, "MOMMY!!" and all the teachers standing there laughed. He was a huge ball of energy and could not stop babbling loudly in the car. He was talking so quickly I couldn't make it all out but I got the general idea: "Mommy! School! So fun! Play trains! Wash hands! Mommy, playground! Mommy, snack at the table! Mommy (suddenly increasing in volume)--HAPPY BIRTHDAY CUPCAKE! Yay!!!! Mommy, have juice! (throw in totally fake belly laugh) SO FUN, Mommy!"
I couldn't get a word in the whole ride home. He has been hyper (thanks to Joe's birthday cupcakes, no doubt) and about three volumes louder since arriving home. When Daddy came home from work Jack excitedly repeated his school highlights, complete with fake laugh.
Sigh. Another milestone. I'm so thankful that it was a good experience and that he (and I) survived the morning. I am done with my tears and look forward to Thursday morning--maybe I'll actually be able to get something done!
(Totally unsolicited sweetness!)
Happy First Day of School, Baby Jack. I love you.
10 comments:
Sweet post!
Aww!! I'm SO happy to hear that it went so well!! That is just awesome, that Jack loves it so much. Makes it much easier, that's for sure. The pictures are so sweet. Really cute spot, on the steps, with the flowers on either side!
Now my request would be some more of sweet Samantha....when you have time, no pressure! :)
I laughed out loud at your recounting of Jack's dialogue. So funny!
Noah started school this year and I had a much harder time with it than I did when my girls started school.
(By the way, I'm one of those friend-of-friends who reads your blog, hope that doesn't freak you out. =)
Oh no, Amy, I would consider you one of my friends!!! I'm talking about people that I hardly know at all. Which, I guess, I don't know you that well, but I often read your blog too, so I feel like I know you...see? Blogging is so weird. :)
Okay I just looked at the post below this one and am embarrassed to admit/point out that I repeated a lot of my preschool thoughts in these two posts!! Just goes to show how spacey I am these days...
very sweet pictures. What a fun little pre-school bag too! :)
Hope he loves school!
These pictures are precious!! Oh, I so feel your pain but I am thrilled he had such a wonderful day.
PS - mornings at the grocery store are magical. It is the only time we go. Before Abigail's morning nap. It may be 8 am, but my kids are gonna have a cookie:)
Aww, the last line made me cry! Maybe 'cause we call my Jack "baby Jack" and it just hit home. Such a precious, sweet child! I wish I could've heard him myself! Love the sweet last picture.
Blogging is weird...I consider you a friend, too!
In college (about 10 years ago) I did a project on internet communication, which at that point was pretty limited (in my world at least) to email and AOL IMs. We talked about how this type of communication, while at first seeming so impersonal, could in fact lead to very personal relationships. How true that has proven, especially in my experience with blogs.
Wow, this post made me cry and I'm nowhere near sending Jonah to school. I didn't think I would be one of those emotional parents either, but maybe I will be!
Post a Comment