...What do you do with your turkey leftovers? So far we've done the traditional turkey sandwiches, which have been so delicious. Our turkey turned out fairly well this year; it lacked a terrible amount of flavor, despite my tremendous efforts to season and stuff and baste the thing, but we definitely succeeded at producing a moist turkey--which adds just that extra scrumptious factor to the sandwiches.
The other thing we tried tonight was Turkey Pot Pie, and it was SOOOOO YUMMY. It's a slightly modified version of my friend Katie's recipe, which I actually found on our friend Kim's blog. I thought I'd share it with you, Blog Friends, but under one condition: please give me some of your creative recipes for turkey uses...otherwise all that turkey's headed for the freezer...
TURKEY POT PIE (preheat oven to 400)
1 Pillsbury All-Ready Pie Crust (refrigerated section)
6 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 celery stalks, chopped (optional--I did it by accident but it was good!)
7 Tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp dried rosemary
1/8 tsp pepper
3 cups chicken broth
3 cups turkey, shredded
4 carrots, peeled, chopped and cooked
3-4 small potatoes, peeled, chopped, and cooked
3/4 cup frozen peas, defrosted
3/4 cup canned corn (I add more corn and peas as I mix, usually)
(Boil chopped potatoes and carrots first, until they are almost-tender, and set aside.)
Melt butter in pan. Add onion and celery and cook until tender. Stir in flour, rosemary, salt, and pepper. Add broth and stir to mix well. Cook and stir over medium heat till thickened and bubbly. Stir in turkey and veggies and heat till bubbly. Put in pie dish lined with pie crust and place the other crust on top. Pierce crust with 4 slits and bake at 400 until crust is done, about 20 to 25 minutes.
(I've used the Marie Callender frozen pie crusts and I prefer them to the Pillsbury. They seem to be a bit deeper and they don't fall to pieces like the Pillsbury ones seem to. Just my own suggestion.)
(One more: I sprinkle a bit, or as much as you want, of cheddar cheese on the top of the mix before I put on the top crust. Just adds a litlte something.)
So there you have it. Your turn!
Sunday, November 25, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
mmmmmmmmmm.........
I can testify to the yumminess of Annika's turkey pot pie!
If we had ended up with any leftover turkey, I would have used it in place of the chicken in this tetrazzini recipe:
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.fc77a0dbc44dd1611e3bf410b5900aa0/?vgnextoid=8152830ea5081110VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&autonomy_kw=chicken%20tetrazini&rsc=ns2006_m14
(Sorry for the ridiculously long link.)
Yum! Sounds good Annika. Too bad we don't have any leftover turkey to experiment with. And I have not recipe suggestions, sorry. But I can tell you my step mom made the best sandwiches with leftovers:
bread
mayo
cranberry sauce, a think layer over the mayo
stuffing
turkey
then the other slice of bread with mayo and a little salt and pepper.
I could eat those all day long!
That is HUGE sandwich. Stufffing, too? That's like another layer of bread! Sounds yummy, though!
that is an AWESOME sandwich... they make it at a restaurant in Chicago, I think, Annika... mmm, I'm drooling... here, we make cornbread stuffing, though, so it's a little bit diff. than the bread of the sandwich... I mean, essentially more carbs, yes, but full of flavor... ok, somebody stop me!!
Post a Comment