Monday, September 10, 2007

Quick Updates

Here is a short update on our family for the past month:

1. Regarding Eric's eyes (which so many people have kindly been asking about), he did not end up needing to undergo the cornea transplant. Thankfully he was seen by a contact specialist who sat down and thoroughly examined all the options with Eric, and helped him to see the pros but more importantly all the cons of a surgery like that. After meeting with him Eric felt the risks of the surgery outweighed the possible benefits, and began pursuing the possibility of wearing contact lenses. The infection had healed, but left considerable scar tissue, so his vision was greatly affected. Though they were a bit skeptical at the doctor's office about how well he would be able to see even with a special contact, when Eric tried them on (a special, super-powerful gas permeable contact) he could see very well! So that's the current status--no surgery, but awesome contacts that, although they took a lot of getting used to, have been a huge gift to Eric.

2. In Jack news...Jack went to Sunday School for the first time last Sunday! They encouraged the parents to come the first week to see what went on, so Eric and I (and Ellie) sat in for the hour. It was precious. Very fast-paced, developmentally appropriate with toys and simple stories and large pictures. There was music, crafts, snacks, clean up time...you know the routine. It made him seem like such a big boy!

3. Ellie started walking this week! She's still a bit wobbly, but she's taken many steps unassisted and seems to be getting the hang of it more each day. She's been standing without holding onto anything for awhile, and also I've seen her bend down, pick up a toy, and stand up again without any help. It's so fun to see this milestone for her, but also makes me look at her and think, "Where'd my baby go?" Also, four teeth came in on her top gums in the past month, so she's got quite the goofy, toothy grin right now. AND, she just started saying, "Uh-oh" this week, as well as using "mamamamamama" and "d-d-d-d-da-da-da-d-d-d" to get our attention. So many things happening with her right now!

4. We celebrated Eric's 27th birthday this past Wednesday. My friend Amy graciously babysat for us, and we enjoyed a dinner out at Houlihan's as well as a movie in a theater! A real theater! We were so giddy...we walked in for the 8:20 showing of "The Bourne Ultimatum" and there was one other couple in the middle of this huge theater. Eric walked up to their row and asked if the seats right next to them were taken. Fortunately they had a good sense of humor! While the previews were playing Eric and I looked at each other numerous times and literally squealed. I know, it's sad. But we haven't been to the nice, nice (and way over-priced) theater in a very long time...perhaps since before Jack was born? We had a great time--loved the movie--and loved being out without kids.

5. Things to look forward to this month:
--Garage sale! Good bye, cluttered garage!
--Annika's weekend in Nashville for a women's ministry conference (I'm going with a friend, Amy, from church, and I am so excited! I don't know what in the world I'm going to do with myself, with no one to look after except me! Whoo-hoo!)
--Eric's weekend alone with the kids while Annika is in Nashville
--Wheaton College Homecoming--our five year reunion (We have a ton of friends coming in that weekend and we are so looking forward to seeing everyone, being all together again, meeting new spouses and children, and catching up on our lives)

Well, I'm off to enjoy a movie with my hubby. It's been a surprisingly cool day, which I very much welcome. I looooooove fall, well, really I love all of September-December. Crisp, overcast days like today make me want to pull out the fleeces, make a cup of tea or cocoa, and curl up on the couch with a good book, a good man, and/or a good Suduko puzzle. Seeing as how I have no tea or cocoa, the only good books I have to read are books on discipline, and I'm currently quite the Suduko queen, we've chosen to sit together and watch a movie. I hope you, wherever you are, have a great fall-esque evening too.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hooray for Ellie! I cant believe she is already walking! And we went to I think our second movie since Noah was born and saw the same one - wasnt it so good?! I love Jason Bourne. Glad things are so well with you. And a big Amen for Eric's not needing surgery, what a blessing!!

Julie said...

Can I just say how much I wish it were time to pull out the fleeces here!?! I can't wait! I've still got a few months to go....enjoy that crisp weather for me!