
Today marks five years of marriage for Eric and me. As everyone says, I can't believe it's been that long already! But how thankful I am to still be walking beside my best friend, my best encourager, my beloved. It would not be right, however, to celebrate this day without giving glory to the Lord for holding our marriage together. It is not because of our hard work, or how well we've done this marriage thing. It's because of Jesus, and how well He does this redeeming and restoring thing. I came across this quote by Beth Moore, one of my favorite people in the whole world (besides my husband, of course!); it seemed to say what my heart has been thinking much more exquisitely than I could have hoped to articulate myself:
"The beauty of finding yourself at a milestone of any meaningful kind in life is not that the journey there was so pretty. Or so successful. In many ways, the mysterious beauty of the whole thing is that the 'getting there' was so awkward, wobbly, inconsistent, and even down-right messy that most of the time, you thought you'd never make it. What makes life on this frightful sod so exquisite is God's merciful propensity to perform divine tasks amid deeply flawed people. To paint intricate colors on a torn-up canvass. We can recognize a miracle when we see one because we know that, for God to use us, redeem us, or complete one stinkin' thing of value in us, it would have taken nothing less. That's what He calls getting the glory."
Our marriage is five years strong, thanks to God's power, love, mercy, grace, and faithfulness. May the next five years be ones of believing and trusting Him, growing in our understanding of relationship with one another and with Him, and experiencing the great joy, peace, and wisdom He promises us as we seek Him together!
P.S. I KNOW I POSTED THIS PICTURE ON OUR LAST ANNIVERSARY, BUT IT'S THE ONLY ONE I HAVE IN THE COMPUTER!
4 comments:
Congrats to you and praise to God for this significant milestone. I was just thinking the other day about how you guys and Rishi and Amanda were coming up on 5 year anniversaries. I have many great memories of being there for your wedding. Blessings to you both!
Congratulations! Beautiful couple, beautiful quote. To many more years together!!
love
Kim
Yay! Five years! Doesn't it feel good! We have to connect on the phone--so much happening. Thanks for checking our blog and commenting. :) I wish we could bring the puppy to you so Eric could play with him! Maybe Homecoming... :) Let's figure out a time to connect on the phone. These next two weeks are crazy for me as I'm finishing up teaching/anatomy but I'll call you when I can and you can call me back when it's convenient. Love you and miss you!
:) em
Annika,
Just came across your blog via Sarah Tao's. Have enjoyed reading some of your entries and seeing your beautiful children. Just crazy to think of how much has happened in 5 years and really since we were in high school. I also think it is crazy that I haven't run into you once in the past 5 years and have been living in the Wheaton area pretty much since highschool! Sometimes it feels like a small world and sometimes I realize how big it really is. Just wanted to send a hello your way and happy anniversary (a little late)
blessings,
Nicole Titus Havens
Post a Comment