Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Family Prayer Needed

This past weekend Eric developed a fairly serious eye infection. He woke up Saturday morning unable to open his right eye. We went to the doctor and they diagnosed a corneal ulcer. He was in incredible pain, and very sensitive to light. We were given eye drops and told to return on Sunday. The infection had worsened on Sunday, so they did a culture swab of the infection in order to test the bacteria that had infected the eye. We are still waiting for those results. This doctor prescribed heavy-duty (and costly) eye drops to be administered every thirty minutes. So we now have kitchen timers going off at all times of the day, including through the night! Monday he went to see a cornea specialist. He couldn't even read any of the letters on the vision test with his right eye. She explained that an infection like this, while it can be treated and will heal, always leaves scar tissue behind. Unfortunately the infection is in the middle of his line of sight, so we will have to wait to see how much scar tissue is left in order to know how much his vision is affected. It's a bad infection, and if there is too much tissue and not much vision, in a worst-case scenario he would have to have a cornea transplant, as in, have someone else's cornea put in his eye!

We're a little scared and quite shocked by all this, as it came on so suddenly. We are still not fully organized in our new place, so things are in a bit of upheaveal. Eric's mom is coming down from Michigan tomorrow to help me out with the kids, caring for Eric, and keeping our little household running, which I am so thankful for. My parents have been watching the kids, driving Eric to appointments, and bringing us meals, which has been amazing and we are also grateful for them. My sister and Jonathan are here and have also been watching the kids for us so we can go to the doctor. Eric's dad will be visiting in a week and a half, so we feel well-cared for and are so thankful for family at times like this. We covet your prayers for full-healing of Eric's eye, and for sustaining grace and strength for both of us as we feel deliriously tired and worn out. Thank you!

I have many posts brewing in my mind...about Jack as a two-year-old, Ellie as a six-month-old, pictures from Jack's 2nd birthday party, Easter, Ellie's baptism...I know it's been awhile. Many of these pictures are still on the camera! Things have been a little crazy with our move; we were without internet for almost two weeks! Imagine that. When life calms down a bit I hope to play a little blog-catch up, but for now just wanted to ask for your prayers.

5 comments:

andrea_jennine said...

Yikes! We'll be praying for you all. Please let us know if we can do anything for you...

Elizabeth said...

I wish I were closer so that I could help you, too. You guys have had so much going on in your lives these past few years, and now this challenge. I guess the only and best way that I can help you right now is to pray for Eric's vision and healing. Off to pray am I!

Katie said...

How are things going with this??

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, I will definitely pray.

Amy said...

Just wanted to let you know I am joining you all in praying for healing for Eric's eye, and in thanks for the family that is surrounding you, both physical and spiritual.