
This morning we woke up early with dread and sadness in our hearts. The day had finally come when we would have to say goodbye to our good friends, Rob and Janet, and their boys. Eric
For those of you who don’t know who the Mezgers are, they are the family that has lived in the downstairs apartment of this house with us this past year. Their son, Simeon, is a day older than Jack, and they formed a bond early on that has turned into a sweet companionship and love for one another. Then on January 1st of this year, their son Nathanael rounded out our home, a whole six weeks after Ellie was born.
So, we trudged downstairs early this morning as they were finishing last-minute packing and preparing to spend our last time together. We held Nathan, tickled Simeon, laughed with Rob and Janet. Jack and Sim enjoyed jumping on the mattress on the floor, laughing gleefully, completely unaware that this was their last time to play together. When it was time to leave, they gave each other a sweet hug, and then a kiss on the cheek. Just broke my heart.
We held it together pretty well until we came upstairs and sat in the window watching them get in the car. Eric began trying to explain to Jack that Simeon was going bye-bye and we wouldn’t see him for a long time. Jack had this confused expression on his face and just sat there staring out the window. It was so sad, and with tears streaming down our cheeks we waved goodbye one last time to our friends—no, to our family—from our window perch.
It’s been a hard day. Every now and then I do something that reminds me of one of the Mezgers…at one point I thought I heard the washing machine and assumed Janet was doing laundry. And then…no. Later I heard a baby crying and stopped to think, “Is that Nathan or Ellie?” And then…oh. Tonight I went to get out a pot for dinner, and I was suddenly reminded of how much Simeon loved getting into my pots and pans and dragging them into the living room. I will miss that.
I told Eric tonight that my mind knows they are gone and that we won’t see them tomorrow, or the day after, or many days after that. But in a weird way their spirit is still here…going downstairs and seeing their empty home still doesn’t make it sink in. The memories are too fresh, too precious, and it hurts just too much to think about what tomorrow will feel like, how quiet this house will be.
We are hurting tonight. We will miss our friends more than we could have imagined. But we trust that God is sovereign and that He goes with each of our families as this season is changing. We are so grateful for the past year, and for the blessing they have been in our lives, and in Jack’s life. Blessings, sweet friends! We know we will see you again someday, whether in this life or the glorious next. C-ya!
6 comments:
Beautiful post, Anni. Made me cry, a lot. Im sorry for your loss, for Eric's and for Jack's. I know they can't be replaced but maybe the family that will move in next will hold their own special place in your hearts.
love to all!
Oh Annika...as I write this tears are finally making their descent. I knew that they would come it was just a matter of time. And now that I am in Dallas, no more packing to do (yet), and able to sit and catch up on blog reading I am sad. You have truly captured our first home as a family in this blog post.
Your family has been so special to us and we have learned so much from you and count it an honor to have shared a bit of our lives with you. We have been sharpened and blessed by you as well. Our hearts are full and empty at the same time... I guess how that's how it goes on this side of heaven.
It all hasn't sunk in yet, but when it does I'm sure there will be a lot more tears, but also many fond memories of life together. And who knows... the Lord may bring our families together in the future when we have more children between us. Let us know when you all are pregnant again so we can plan accordingly (wink, wink).
Hope that brought a smile to your face. We love you dearly and will miss you greatly. I gotta go mi-mis now :0)
Love,
janet. for the Mezger boys as well
Awww, Annika you made me cry! This needed a "warning, get tissues" label at the top!! this second paragraph- wow. What a special, special time it has been for you guys- such a blessing. I'm so sorry you are hurting but I'm so glad you have had friends that are so worth missing... that you've had so much to lose, strange as it sounds. :/
Oh goodness... I just read Janet's response and now I'm crying again! eESH.
This post is entirely too difficult and too joyful to read. Difficult to let go of half of our daily community for the past 15 months, and joyful to recount all the memories. It has been wonderful. We will always treasure you in our hearts because for me personally, you were my family's first attempt to live the way my family did growing up--in a big community. Does that make sense? I never once lived with just my immediate family growing up...and after sharing 902 S Williston with you all, I want the same for my kids and wife.
I'll miss your cheerful spirits, both of you, your musical genius, your late night chats about tv shows, high-church vs. well, other, baseball, etc. I'll miss your wonderful parents, sister and brother in law, and your college friends that I got to know briefly. I'm sad that my life as a grad student couldn't have been a little longer so that we, and our kids could have shared a little more time together. I pray that God will give us dreams of what eternity will be like as Christians, esp. in times like these when those words are hard to take as comfort.
I love you Durbins.
Your friend, Rob
Annika, your words made me cry. Your family is precious to me too. But then, I'm not going to Sarajevo, just staying here in Dallas, TX. And I'm just a phone call away for Lost theories! These last two episodes were the BEST! I'll email you my phone #!
Post a Comment