A few nights ago Jack threw a massive tantrum at the arrival of a cheese quesadilla on his dinner plate instead of the cheese sandwich he had been hoping for. He knew that a special ice cream treat followed dinner, and seeing as how he was not about to eat this dinner, well...you could see the wheels rolling in his head. Thrashing and screaming and kicking and stiffening...he brought out the works. He had a few time outs in his room to calm down, but each were followed by fairly quick retreats back into tantrum posture upon seeing that the quesadilla was still sitting on his plate. We were, as usual, busy with the other kids and so we let him roll around on the floor for awhile. Suddenly I realized he had stopped crying and was walking toward me carrying pieces of his quesadilla. He handed me a piece with a sweet, "Here Mommy" and then handed one to Eric. Then he announced, "Okay, people? Eat the dinner." Eric and I tried to stiffle our explosive laughter at his manipulative skills & creative out-sourcing plan for his dinner...but then reminded him that HE had to eat his own dinner...and he then took his tantrumming to new levels of screaming. We ended up putting him to bed without dinner, and as we were walking out we heard him say, "Okay (the way he prefaces so many comments these days): next time? Eat the cheese sandwich."
My other favorite comments from this week:
MOM: "Jack, it's time for bed."
JACK: "Um, no thank you bedtime!"
AND
JACK: "Ellie, it's time for nap!" (which he looks forward to so he can do special things with mommy like bake cookies and play outside in the snow)
MOM: "Jackson, I am the mommy. You don't tell Ellie what to do."
JACK: "Okay, Mommy. You say, "Ellie, take a nap!""
And while we're at it...my current favorite Ellie phrases:
"tink-oo" (thank you)
"dee-beckum" (you're welcome)
"DaDa bake up!" (Samantha wake up)
"Deddie Tay-ohs" (veggie tales)
"brock-ery" (broccoli)
"tucker" (sucker)
"teekee boppers" (fishy crackers)
"Ah-llie" (Ellie) (she pronounces her name better at 2 than Jack does at 3 1/2; he still calls her "Eh-yee"!
I love these stages of language development!
So I'll just tag on here, since I never know when I'll have more time to blog...Samantha is army-crawling, almost sitting up by herself, laughing, eating solid foods, and got her first tooth on Thanksgiving day! What a big girl. We also have somehow skipped right over the 3-6 months clothing size...she was 0-3 for almost 6 months and now is almost entirely in 6-9 or 6-12! Strange. We are loving this stage with her except that she is DYING to get out of our arms, even though she can't really go anywhere, but she lunges all over the place. She's a hard one to hold still these days.
We have been crazy-busy this past week (I had four photo shoots) so we took a family day yesterday; spent the morning at the Arboretum hiking in the snowfall--so beautiful. Enjoyed a model train display, and then had lunch together as a family. What a relaxing day and a wonderful way to end the Thanksgiving Break--so thankful. We hope you all had a wonderful celebration, too.
Oh--I CANNOT sign off without letting you all (whoever even keeps up with us anymore!) know that we got a settlement for our luggage loss! We are VERY thankful for that, and I now have some new shoes and a few new shirts and fleeces, and Eric got TWO new suits at a buy one/get one sale! We are so thankful to have that all resolved and to be able to replace a few of the things we lost and get a few things we've been needing.
And now...I'm off to bed! Happy Tuesday.
Monday, December 01, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
It was great to see you on Saturday!
Aww, I loved reading all of those cute sayings and funny conversations you have with the kids. So fun! I cannot believe Samantha is getting that big--trying to crawl!! WOW!
I am SO happy to hear you got a settlement for your lost luggage (it's about time)...better than nothing at all, but I just still can't believe it was never found!
Hey Annika:) It's Kate (Schuenke). I ran into Eric today on campus when I had to go and fill out my paperwork for teaching next semester (and he was very patient with me as I asked lots of dumb questions about the forms, I am terrible at anything tax related, it's embarrassing but he was very nice about it, when inside he had to be thinking, "and how old are you?"
anyways, just wanted to touch base and let you know that I would love to get together in the Spring when I am out in Wheaton more regularly. I'll teach on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 11:30 to about 1:00 PM. I will meet you wherever is most convenient with the kids, I'm excited to meet them! I have Eric my e-mail, but just in case it is kschuenk@nd.edu.
:) a big hug
kat(i)e
(aka KSL on Katie Brill's blog- oops McDonnell, I still think of her as Brill!)
ooops I meant to say I gave eric my e-mail, anyways, he has it too.
Anni, this so cute. I love watching their language develop too, isn't it so sweet? I love the way Ellie says fish crackers - HILARIOUS! And Samantha is already crawling? Didn't you just birth her?
Oh I laughed and laughed over the next time eat the cheese sandwich line. SO funny. He is too cute. I wish I could experience them talking in person. We need some new Samantha pics here in Blogland!
It's amazing the things these kids come up with--so funny! And I'm SO glad you guys got a settlement for your luggage and were able to replace some of the things that were lost.
Although it's horrible that you lost your luggage, at least they finally settled your claim!
I hope I don't have the same problem when I fly to Denver on Thursday -- but if so at least I'll have my warm coat on and won't freeze!
It's so hard to keep the laughter in sometimes. :)
I loved reading about how all three of the kids are developing...all at different stages, and reading your blog is a GREAT reminder that I can do this...I can still function as a "normal" human being with three :)
HOORAY on the luggage settlement...at least you didn't have a total loss and some new clothes!
Post a Comment